Trentino Chardonnay DOC is still white wine produced in purity with Chardonnay grapes. Together with Trento DOC (sparkling wine) and Alto Adige Chardonnay DOC (both still and sparkling), it is a famous interpretation of the well-known international grape variety.
Although the history of the Chardonnay in Trentino is relatively recent, it seems to have been introduced only in the last century, its production is wide: the vineyards in Trentino alone exceed the 2,800 hectares.
The color is not very intense straw yellow, sometimes with greenish nuances. The scent is delicate, with hints of almond flowers, green apple, exotic fruit, banana and citrus. In aged versions, ripe fruit, melon and yellow apple also emerge. The taste is dry, sapid and slightly bitterish; in the aged versions emerges a greater roundness and softness.
Chardonnay Trentino DOC is versatile. You can start to taste it with an appetizer and then continue with a risotto, a fish soup, a second of both fish and meat (white). If aged, we can accompany it to a not too aged cheese.
- region: Trentino-South Tyrol
- province: Trento
- territories: Vallagarina, Valle dell'Adige, Valle dei Laghi
- Trentino Chardonnay
- Trentino Chardonnay Riserva
- Trentino Chardonnay Superiore
- Trentino Chardonnay Vendemmia Tardiva
- Chardonnay 85-100%
- other non aromatic grapes 0-15%
- grapes quintals / hectare: 150, 100 (S)
- wine hectoliters / grapes quintal: 0,7
- wine hectoliters / hectare: 105, 70 (S)
(S) = Superiore
- Trentino Chardonnay: 11,0%
- Trentino Chardonnay Riserva: 11,5%
- Trentino Chardonnay Superiore: 12,5%
- Trentino Chardonnay Vendemmia Tardiva: 11,0%
- temperature: 10-12°C / 50-54°F
- glass: medium wine glass
- longevity: 2-5 years