Franciacorta DOCG is a classic method sparkling wine produced in the homonymous area of Franciacorta, in the province of Brescia, in Lombardy. It is the only classic method sparkling wine that, together with the French Champagne and the Spanish Cava, can have only the name of the territory on the label, thus allowing to write "Franciacorta" and not "Franciacorta classic method" or "Franciacorta sparkling wine".
It is made with Chardonnay and Pinot nero grapes up to a maximum of 100%, while the Pinot bianco is allowed within the limit of 50%. The recommended dosages are Pas Dosé, Extra Brut, Brut, Extra Dry, Sec or Dry and Demi-Sec.
Franciacorta DOCG can be found in the following typologies, each one with a specific tasting profile:
- Franciacorta is the basic type.
- Franciacorta Saten if produced with wines of selected Chardonnay grapes. The pressure in the bottle is less than 5 atmospheres. It is produced exclusively in the Brut type.
- Franciacorta Rosé if produced in contact with the skin of Pinot nero grapes for the time necessary to give the wine the desired color. It can be vinified with Pinot nero 100% or together with Chardonnay or Pinot bianco.
For all typologies, the following mentions are allowed:
- Millesimato if produced from grapes of a single vintage (minimum 85%).
- Riserva if it has been on the lees for at least 5 years (60 months).
The territory of Franciacorta is mostly hilly. In ancient times it was covered by woods, while today mostly dedicated to the cultivation of the vine. The land is of moraine origin, i.e. it is composed of rocky debris that were transported by glaciers descending from the Alps and is quite deep. It is of mixed type, composed of silts, clays and skeleton. It has a good permeability.
It is a pale-yellow wine with golden reflections, presents a fine and persistent perlage. The scent is characteristic of the fermentation in the bottle, hints of bread and yeast enriched with delicate notes of citrus and dried fruit (almond, hazelnut, dried figs). The taste is sapid and fresh.
- Franciacorta Saten
- Franciacorta Rosé
- Franciacorta Millesimato
- Franciacorta Riserva
- Pinot Nero 0-100%
- Chardonnay 0-100%
- Pinot bianco 0-50% in place of Chardonnay
- quintals of grapes per hectare: 100
- hectoliters of wine per quintal: 0,65
- hectoliters of wine per hectare: 65
- Franciacorta / Saten / Rosé: 11,5%
- Franciacorta Millesimato: 11,5%
- Franciacorta Riserva: 11,5%
- temperature: 8°C / 46°F
- glass: flute or small wine glass
- longevity: 1-2 years